Team Tutors pairs your student with a highly experienced tutor for private, one-on-one test preparation. Our customized programs are designed to bolster strengths and shore up weaknesses. We have developed unique tools – including personalized checklists, materials and study guides – to ensure standardized test success. Our goal is to remove the stress from the testing and school application process.
- Diagnostic exam to determine strengths and problem areas
- Analysis of prior test performance
- Comprehensive study materials
- Full-scale practice exams
- Insider tips to improve test taking skills
- Application support
Team Tutors provides private test preparation with a highly experienced tutor. Our hands-on program ensures that our students have a productive and effective experience and parents remain informed via written progress reports. In addition to having a dedicated tutor, you will have access to our ISEE director who is available to address your questions and concerns.
Our customized test preparation enables us to target your child’s individual needs and our strategies produce confident test takers.
- Diagnostic Exam – We start with a free group diagnostic exam to assess each student’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Number of Sessions – Our basic program consists of 15 ninety-minute sessions. We adjust the number of sessions and their focus based on diagnostic results.
- 90 Minute Sessions – We recommend 90-minute sessions so students build stamina while still being able to absorb information.
- Accommodations – We are experienced at working with students who have approved accommodations (i.e. extra time, laptop).
- Practice Exams – We offer full-length practice exams in proctored group settings so students get comfortable taking a 3-hour exam in real test-taking conditions.
- Summer Start – We suggest students begin their ISEE prep over the summer so they are not overwhelmed during the busy school year.
- School Selection – We will help you determine best school fit and assist with crafting your applications.
- Interview Preparation – We teach our students to differentiate themselves and feel confident about the process.
What is the ERB?
The ERB (Educational Records Bureau) is the company that creates the standardized achievement test which is commonly known as the “ERB”. The ERB exam is administered at most private schools in Los Angeles. The ERB also creates the ISEE exam which students are required to take for admission to secondary school. Students who study for the ERB exam now will be one step ahead when they study for the ISEE.
ERB Mastery and Strategy
To be successful on the exam, students need to do two things: 1) have a basic understanding of the structure of the test, and 2) strengthen their verbal and quantitative (math) skills. Team Tutors helps students develop strategy and test-taking techniques so they are well-prepared and feel confident about the process.
Team Tutors Materials
Team Tutors has created materials to gently guide students through the process of preparing for the “ERB” with their tutor. For each section they will learn test-taking tips, review and master content, and work on practice drills.
Where Do I Start?
We understand that the college application and standardized testing process can be overwhelming and our goal is to help alleviate some of the stress. Our team helps each student identify whether they would like to focus on the SAT, ACT, or both tests. We provide guidance in selecting testing dates and cater prep to the individual student’s needs so they aren’t forced into a one-size-fits all package.
Number of Sessions
The popularity of taking the ACT instead of the SAT has been steadily increasing. Recently, the number of students taking the ACT surpassed the number of those taking the SAT and that trend looks to be continuing. The test tends to focus primarily on what each student has learned in their coursework, rather than overly relying on reasoning skills and “gotcha” questions. This format can be advantage for certain students, including those who are not traditionally great test takers. Our tutors can help each student decide whether the ACT format is more suited to their study skills.
The redesign of the SAT rolling out in March of 2016 brings with it a new set of challenges for students prepping for the exam. The new format includes changes to the structure, timing, and thematic elements of the exam. Our tutors help each student navigate these changes and bring a targeted approach with strategies designed to maximize the effectiveness of their prep.
The new PSAT format (introduced October 2015) brings the test more in line with the new SAT format. Our tutors will teach students the structure of the PSAT so they are fully prepared to achieve their highest potential.
SAT Subject Tests
The SAT Subject Tests are now required at many top-tier colleges and universities. Team Tutors can help devise a strategy for if and when your student should take these exams. We have specialists in each of the most popular Subject Test areas and we generally recommend that students also take the correlating AP exam since they are studying for the subject and the information on both tests will overlap.
There are over 30 AP courses available to students, and Team Tutors has subject experts in almost every area. Our one-on-one tutoring is customized for each student, and can be arranged around your student’s busy schedule. Whether your student is in need of ongoing tutoring throughout the duration of an AP course or exam prep only, Team Tutors has the experience to help.